info needed

CHRISTOPHER V. PLOWE cplowe at welchlink.welch.jhu.edu
Wed May 10 19:31:55 EST 1995

For goodness' sake, folks, please don't give or accept medical advice
over the internet.  In much of the world medications are freely
available, and taking the wrong medicine for a parasitic disease can be
dangerous, sometimes fatal.  Bad advice could be lethal.

Praziquantel is not used to treat giardiasis, nor is albendazole.  Just
because someone has reported something in the scientific literature
doesn't mean it is safe or effective.  Giardiasis is effectively treated
with metronidazole, tinidazole or quinacrine (atabrine or mepacrine in
Europe).  For the correct dosages, see a physician who is knowledgeable
about parasitic diseases.  For any drug, there are precautions and
contraindications that must be considered, and self-medication is never
advisable.

Also, diagnosis of giardiasis or any disease requires a proper history,
physical exam and laboratory tests.  Speculation based on a brief message
is totally unreliable.

Sorry to be such a wet blanket, but you could do some serious harm with
ignorant advice.