Crypto in dogs and cats

Charles T. Faulkner ctfaulkn at UTKVX.UTCC.UTK.EDU
Fri May 26 09:22:37 EST 1995

On Fri, 26 May 1995, Kathleen Strelow wrote:

>           We check a lot of bovine calf feces for Cryptosporidia. We have
>           found the flotation methods (Sheathers sugar and ZnSO4) to be
>           very unrewarding.

	We find Crypto consistently in calves with Sheather's,  also in a
variety of reptile species.  Usually these are symptomatic cases, and
Crypto is high on the list in the differential diagnosis.  What is your
prevalence in asymptomatic calves with the DAF, i'd be willing to bet it
is very low.  Do you have a modification to eliminate non-specific staining?
My problem w/ the AF procedure is that other material that is obviously not
Crypto also stains, and most of the time the resulting staining is not
as uniform and diagnostic as one is lead to believe in the literature.

	I agree ZNSO4 is not appropriate for recovery of Cryptosporidium,
and the FEAS method does not result in a clean enough prep for detecting
the oocysts.