chagas disease

Eberhard Kniehl 100674.1442 at CompuServe.COM
Mon Nov 6 14:17:48 EST 1995

 mattw at sfsu.edu (MATTHEW FRANCIS WETTLAUFER) wrote:
>Could someone refer to me publish sources of information
regarding chagas  disease?  I am also curious to know if which if
any companies in the  United States are currently working
on a vaccine for the disease.  Thanks.<

Matthew, there is an up-to-date review on human trypanosomiases
(by Chance and Molyneux, Liverpool, UK) in the latest "Current
Opinion in Infectious Diseases"  Vol 8, 328 -335. In summary, for
the New Worlds chagas disease "as far as individual interventions
are concerned, there are still no encouraging prospects for
chemotherapy and immunoprophylaxis". A real prospect for Latin
America (Southern Cone Initiative) is "the elimination of T.cruzi
transmission in the area by the year 2000". You may find a lot of
references in the article.

Best wishes, Eberhard Kniehl

--
Eberhard Kniehl