Another name for tropical medicine??

Charles T. Faulkner ctfaulkn at UTKUX1.UTK.EDU
Tue Nov 7 11:44:10 EST 1995

On 2 Nov 1995, Stephen G. Kayes wrote:

> 	I am not very good at this sort of thing but are you looking for
> the term "geographic Medicine".  I never thought that that was a
> particularly useful term but many places have departments of same.

	Geographic medicine has the advantage of defining the domain of
inquiry as the study of diseases and health effects on a global scale
without being limited to diseases associated with tropical
lattitudes (e.g. malaria, schisto, dengue, etc.).  Thus, its possible to
discuss the zoonotic implications of echinoccosis as it relates to sheep
husbandry, or a caribou-sled dog association with humans, toxocarosis as
a problem of lg stray and companion animal populations in urban
settings, as well as the traditional topics in tropical medicine in a
single course.  I think the Trop Med label is a somewhat dated label
derived from the colonialism of the 19th century. Geographic medicine, on the
other hand reflects our increasing awareness and concern with the study of
health and disease in a global community. Just a thought.

*      Charles T. Faulkner       *   Get your facts first and then you
*  Univ of Tennessee, Knoxville  *   can distort them as much as you please.
*     (ctfaulkner at utk.edu)       *                Mark Twain