Causal link between parasites and cancer?

Perry Kundert perry at AURORA.CALGARY.HP.COM
Thu Nov 9 12:03:27 EST 1995

Derek;

    Thank you very much for your reply...  I, too, have been skeptical
about some of her claims, and her methodology.  However, I have also
become skeptical of the claims and methodology of others in the cancer
industry over the past 5 years, as my Mother and Sister have been
fighting cancer...

    This is why I wanted some knowledgeable commentary on this theory.

    Here are some of interesting things I have found, which seem to lend
some support to this theory.  It would be nice if there were, indeed,
some peer-reviewed research, to see whether or not these apparent
correlations between parasites and cancer are indeed statistically
significant...

http://oncolink.upenn.edu/disease/bladder/intro_bladder.html

    Like many solid tumors, bladder cancer is a disease of the older
    population, with a peak incidence in the seventh decade of
    life. Possible etiologic factors include:

       o cigarette smoking
       o exposure to chemicals called arylamines (used in the textile
         and rubber industries)
>>>    o exposure to Schistosoma haemotobium, a parasite commonly
         encountered in Asia, Africa and South America.

http://oncolink.upenn.edu/chemo/blad_ca.html

    Risk factors for the development of bladder cancer include cigarette
    smoking, occupational exposure to industrial chemicals, ingestion of
>>> other physical agents, and exposure to the parasite Schistosoma
    haematobium. Cigarette smoking may account for as much as 50% of all
    bladder cancer in American men, doubling the risk when compared to
    nonsmokers.

>>> Occupational exposure to chemicals includes those found in the
    synthetic textile dye industry, in the rubber industry, in hair
    dyes, and as paint pigment. Occupations known to increase risk
    include janitors, mechanics, miners, printers, and
    hair-dressers. Ingestion of other physical agents such as coffee,
    alcohol, saccharin, and phenacetin has been weakly linked to bladder
    cancer. Schistosomiasis is rare in the United States but common in
    many African countries and especially Egypt, where the incidence of
    squamous cell carcinoma of the bladder is much higher. [3-5]

http://oncolink.upenn.edu/chemo/suramin.html#ref_5

    Suramin, a polysulfonated naphthylurea, has been used for decades as
>>> therapy and prophylaxis for parasitic disorders. [1] In vitro
    studies demonstrating that suramin is a potent inhibitor of viral
    reverse transcriptase and that it has anti-human immunodeficiency
    virus (anti-HIV) activity led to its evaluation for the management
    of the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS). [2] Although
    evidence of minor antitumor response was reported in HIV-associated
    lymphoma and Kaposi's sarcoma, suramin did not appear to alter the
    natural history of HIV disease. [3,4] However, the evidence of tumor
    regression in HIV-associated malignancies led investigators to
    evaluate the antineoplasticeffects of suramin in other tumor cell
    lines.

http://www.homepage.com/~jimb/gerson/modern.html

    Dr. Susser adds that in CFS "we often get hidden, concomitant
    parasite, yeast and viral infections that are the result of a
    weakened immune system."

    Here is our cue that CFS is not a simple problem but a combination
    of immune deficiency diseases, including candida and possible
>>> parasites.

http://health.nyam.org:8000/public_html/network/altx.html

    Uncaria tomentosa is an herb that grows wild in the highlands of the
    Peruvian Amazon. It has been used for hundreds, perhaps thousands,
    of years by the native Ashanica Indians for treatment of a wide
    range of health problems associated with the immune and digestive
    systems.

    Ongoing research suggests that Uncaria tomentosa may be benficial in
>>> the treatment of cancer, arthritis, bursitis, rheumatism, genital
    herpes and herpes zoster, allergies, ulcers, systemic candidiasis,
    PMS and irregularities of the female cycle, environmental toxin
    poisoning, numerous bowel and intestinal disorders, organic
    depression, and those infected with HIV.

    Dr. Brent W. Davis, DC, who has been working with Uncaria tomentosa
    for a number of years, has referred to this herb as "The Opener of
    the Way" because of its remarkable ability to cleanse the entire
    intestinal tract and help patients suffering from many different
    stomach and bowel disorders including: Chrohn's disease,
    diverticulitis, leaky bowel syndrome, colitis, hemorrhoids,
>>> fistulas, gastritis, ulcers, parasites and intestinal flora
    imbalance. In its healing ability and benfit to the immune system,
    Uncaria tomentosa appears to have so many therapeutic applications
    that it far surpasses such well known herbs as Pau d'Arco,
    Echinacea, Golden Seal, Astragalus and Siberian Ginseng, as well as
    Reishi and Shitake mushrooms, and other natural products such as
    Citrus Seed Extract, Caprylic Acid and Shark Cartilage.

    This information is from from an article dated May 1994 in The
    Townsend Letter for Doctors.

> There has been, I believe, a link shown between certain schistosome
> infections and certain types of cancer, but this book by Hulda Clark is a
> farce. She claims that all cancer is caused by one parasite, Fasciolopsis
> buskii, an asian trematode contracted by opening water chestnuts with your
> teeth (the cercaria are deposited there by the snail intermediate). The
> cancer is caused when the trematode is induced to complete its entire
> life cycle within the liver of the human host (miracidia->sporocyst->
> redia->cercaria->metacercaria->adult) by propyl alchohol produced by the host.
> The growth factor, ortho-phospho-tyrosine produced during this one host cycle
> is what lead to ALL forms of cancer. Surprisingly, the only way to get rid of
> the parasite is to use her mixture of black walnut hulls, wormwood, and
> cloves. Of course, you have to grow your own wormwood, as the foolish
> people at the FDA have regulated it as toxic. You MUST NOT try to rid
> yourself of this parasite using drug parasiticides, as they can be
> extremely toxic. You will also need to take ornithine at night and
> arginine in the morning, to counteract the effects of the huge amounts of
> ammonia being released by the worms. AND cancer is not the only disease
> caused by these worms. If the adults move from the liver to your pancreas
> you'll get diabetes, if they're in your thymus you'll have HIV, in your
> brain they are the cause of Alzheimer's disease, in your
> kidneys...Hodgkin's, and of course, if they get into your skin the
> inevitable result is Kaposi's sarcoma. Hard to believe the medical
> community has missed something as obvious as this...but Dr. Clark has
> seen it in 100% of the cancer patients she has examined. WHAT? You
> haven't seen these results published anywhere? Well, naturally
> information as vital as this should not get caught up in the peer review
> process...the only way to get it to the general public fast enough is to
> write a book. If you want to see the data it'll only cost $95. Gosh,
> there sure are going to be alot of people out of work now that all these
> formerly incurable diseases have been demystified.
>
>                       Derek A. Zelmer

    Overall, I think this is a fair assessment of the book, if not quite
correct on every claim.  Dr. Clark clearly has little respect for the
traditional cancer treatments, and uses some rather primitive and
unproven methods for verifying her claims.

    However, regardless of her vehemency in promoting her theories, I
feel that there is enough collateral evidence in other unrelated
literature, to support an attempt to duplicate her findings.

--
    -pjk        Perry Kundert           perry at calgary.hp.com    (403)299-4761