More Questions on Cerebral Malaria

Santhat Lekhavadthanajai - SCMI - 3636187 gscslh at mahidol.ac.th
Mon Oct 2 14:50:50 EST 1995

On 29 Sep 1995 POLLOCKP_at_b8352ple at SMTPGW1.PLK.AF.MIL wrote:

> This thread came up before, but not all the info. was put
> on the WWW. I hope you won't mind a few further questions.
>
> As I understand it, cerebral malaria is a serious complication
> arising from malaria. It seems to be associated with m. falciparum.
>
> Q. Can other types of the malaria plasmodium also cause cerebral
>    malaria (or only m. falciparum) ?
  Ans. As far as human malaria goes, P. falciparum is the only one that
       can cause cerebral malaria.

> Q. If a person contracts malaria from m. falciparum, is cerebral
>    malaria definitely going to occur - or is it just a possible
>    complication?
  Ans. It is just one of a possible complication.

> Q. Is there anything a patient suffering from malaria can do to
>    reduce the possibility of complications such as cerebral malaria?
>    (i.e. I have in mind practical steps which may slow down the
>    progression of the disease, while a patient is being transported
>    to a medical facility).
  Ans. The best way is to get medication from a doctor at the earliest
       possible time.  That is, you should suspect of contacting malaria if
       you happened to travel to endemic area and get intermittent fever
       after that.

Thanks
> pete pollock     pollockp at lablink.ple.af.mil

Santhat Lekhavadhanajai