cloning of T. cruzi

Vina R. Didderrich vina at utkux4.utcc.utk.edu
Fri Oct 6 20:32:38 EST 1995

On 4 Oct 1995, Scott Davis wrote:

> I am trying to clone various strains of T. cruzi for injection into C3H
> mice.  I keep having a problem with fungal contamination.  Recently I
> added some 5-flurocytosine to my media and have not had any success.
> Does anyone have any advice as to concentration levles of this antifungal
> or any other suggestions to prevent contamination?  ( I am using 300mg/ml).

Try Fungizone (amphotericin B) from Biowhittaker.  I use a solution of
Pen/Strep/Fungizone at a dilution of 100ul/ml of cell culture medium to
prevent contamination in my virus isolations.  They say that this is an
alternative drug for the treatment of American cutaneous Leishmaniasis,
but it is not effective against L. donovani or L. tropica.  I do not have
any information about T. cruzi.  Hope this is useful, keep us posted.

*      Vina R. Diderrich         *   If you send me Corona, please make
*  Univ of Tennessee, Knoxville  *           it a Mexican beer
*     (vrdiderrich at utk.edu)      *