influence of 'climate' on parasitic vectors

k.sinka k.sinka at uea.ac.uk
Wed Oct 11 21:36:36 EST 1995

I have just been invited to try and get together a proposal to
look at the influence of climate factors on parasite vectors.

(At the moment I am looking at climate (macro-scale) on
beetles and herpetofauna for use in palaeoclimate studies.)

I have been reading about Malaria and Anopheles but I am
not a parasitologist and so I am a bit 'in the dark' still.

I can name:

those bilharzia snails (from o'level geography)
tsetse flies (from a tv documentary)
mosquitoes.

(a start but a rather limited one)

Can anyone recommend either some good reading material
(on vectors in general) or even anything that has been done
in this area already.

or just name a few parasite carrying beasties and I will
get onto BIDS and find out the rest for myself.

thanks

Katy S