sushi

stevens christop at gopher.lscf.ucsb.edu
Wed Oct 18 00:17:39 EST 1995

I too am often asked about eating sushi.   My standard response is "go
for it".  It would seem that one is pretty safe eating such things like
salmon, yellow-tail or blue-fin tuna, octopus and squid, various types
of roe (urchin roe is a delicacy in Japan of course, but I can't stand
the consistency of the stuff), and COOKED crab (like deep-fried soft
shell crab).  Bottom fish (halibut) are not such a good choice.  The
other thing I tell people is that you would probably be better off
avoiding parasites in sushi if you go to a sushi bar with middle aged
or very old sushi chefs.  I've noticed that these guys take their time
preparing the stuff whereas the young chefs are just trying to look
cool for the patrons.  Lastly, candling doesn't hurt, but be sure that
the chef is looking the other way... don't want him to think you don't
trust him!  Bon appetit!

Oh, and be sure to eat lots of the green stuff, clears those sinuses
right up!

Theresa (stevens at lifesci.ucsb.edu)