sushi

Mark Siddall mes at zoo.toronto.edu
Wed Oct 18 10:26:05 EST 1995

In article <4622lj$dst at ucsbuxb.ucsb.edu> christop at gopher.lscf.ucsb.edu (stevens) writes:
>I too am often asked about eating sushi.   My standard response is "go
>for it".  It would seem that one is pretty safe eating such things like
>salmon, yellow-tail or blue-fin tuna, octopus and squid, various types
>of roe (urchin roe is a delicacy in Japan of course, but I can't stand

I agree.  I would argue that the worry-wart should go with  a
marine parasitologist. :-)
FYI: it's really sea-urchin gonads, not roe that constitute "uni".
The eggs are formed in the water column.  Both the testes of males
and the ovaries of females are "uni" and quite tasty if you can
get around the fact that they have the consistency of sea-snot.

>the consistency of the stuff), and COOKED crab (like deep-fried soft
>shell crab).  Bottom fish (halibut) are not such a good choice.  The

I disagree here.  Many bottom fish are fine.  In particular those with
smaller mouths like flounder.  These tend not to bioaccumulate
anasakids from larger crustaceans or other fishes, and will not have
concentrated any of the dinoflagellate toxins from having eaten
shellfish.

The only thing I stay away from in a sushi bar is mackerel and herring.

Mark
Gloucester Point, VA, 23062