Request for protocols for storage of ticks for DNA isolation

Mr M.R. Owen mochus at liverpool.ac.uk
Wed Oct 18 11:35:00 EST 1995

I am planning on collecting ticks from Africa over the next year.  The ticks
will be stored at room temperature for about 8 months, after which I would
like to look for Babesia DNA in the ticks by PCR.  Has anyone any good ideas
for the best way to preserve the ticks to maximise my chances of recovering
good quality DNA when the samples get shipped over to me  in the UK?

I will also be collecting bovine blood and brain samples.  Any ideas on the
best preservation techniques for these too would be grately appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation
Luis Neves
email lneves at liverpool.ac.uk