sushi

James F. Munro 905133mu at udcf.gla.ac.uk
Wed Oct 18 09:51:05 EST 1995

christop at gopher.lscf.ucsb.edu (stevens) wrote:

> I too am often asked about eating sushi.   My standard response is "go
> for it".  It would seem that one is pretty safe eating such things like
> salmon, yellow-tail or blue-fin tuna, octopus and squid, various types
> of roe (urchin roe is a delicacy in Japan of course, but I can't stand
> the consistency of the stuff), and COOKED crab (like deep-fried soft
> shell crab).  Bottom fish (halibut) are not such a good choice.  The
> other thing I tell people is that you would probably be better off
> avoiding parasites in sushi if you go to a sushi bar with middle aged
> or very old sushi chefs.  I've noticed that these guys take their time
> preparing the stuff whereas the young chefs are just trying to look
> cool for the patrons.  Lastly, candling doesn't hurt, but be sure that
> the chef is looking the other way... don't want him to think you don't
> trust him!  Bon appetit!
>
> Oh, and be sure to eat lots of the green stuff, clears those sinuses
> right up!
>
> Theresa (stevens at lifesci.ucsb.edu)

Very interesting. Does mean  that my teachers were lying when they said
that things like Diphyllobothrium latum, Anisakis etc could be picked
up by eating uncooked salmon, herring and cod? I'm not the greatest
authority on the subject, but I would not be so quick to confine
my concerns only to bottom-living fish.  Why should these species be
more dangerous?
James Munro
University of Glasgow
Scotland