Human leishmaniasis

Eberhard Kniehl 100674.1442 at CompuServe.COM
Sun Oct 22 08:50:01 EST 1995

Hi, to all !

I don´t know very much about leishmaniasis and I´ve only seen a
few cases in humans (leishmaniasis is not very often seen here in
Germany). So please excuse my "stupid" question:

My question is, whether there is the possibility of  relapsing
cutaneous leishmaniasis in humans. And if so, where do the
amastigotes reside ?

Suppose the following hypothetic case:
HIV-positive person from Sudan, staying in Germany since more
than 3 years (i.e. no recent contact to sandflies). No history of
leishmaniasis, but perhaps inapparent infection. Now multiple
cutaneous granuloma and ulcerations (head, neck, upper
extremities).

Is "relapsing" leishmaniasis, due to immundeficiency,
"reasonable" in differential diagnosis ?

Thanks for your answers.

--
Eberhard Kniehl
Karlsruhe - Germany