Trichinella in seal meat

bdixon bdixon at hpb.hwc.ca
Tue Oct 31 11:44:16 EST 1995

I tried to send this query out a few weeks ago, however, our system
crashed shortly after so I don't know if it was ever actually sent. I was
not able to check for replies.  Is anyone aware of any documented cases
of human trichinosis resulting from the consumption of seal meat, other
than walrus?  Are there any recent prevalence data available for
Trichinella in seals?  I am only aware of some old papers reporting <1%
in marine mammals.  If you do have any info regarding this please send it
to my E-mail address bdixon at hpb.hwc.ca
Thanks very much.
Brent Dixon
Health Canada