Need info - bugs on the eyelid

Tigerfan tigerfan at aol.com
Sat Sep 9 09:58:48 EST 1995

I just encountered this thread and would like to comment.  I agree that
the organisms are not Demodex spp. mites., which are residents of hair
follicles and impossible to see without strong magnification.  However,
they aren't going to be identified via the Internet--someone needs to
examine them.  Collect as many as you can into a vial of alcohol (70%
ethanol is preferred, but rubbing alcohol is OK) and contact a) the
closest Dept. of Entomology at a university;  b) your state Public Health
Laboratory;  or as a last try, c) the Dept. of Acarology at Ohio State.
Explain your story and request that someone who is experienced in the area
of ectoparasites identify the organisms.  In my experience with these
cases, the vast majority of MDs have no idea what they're looking at and
their patients don't understand why (it's because they have no training in
the area).  Good luck and don't stop until you get an answer.

Dr. Bob Garrison
Department of Veterinary Pathobiology
Purdue University
West Lafayette, Indiana 47907