Do mosquitos get malaria?

Mark Siddall mes at
Sun Sep 17 01:36:51 EST 1995

In article <Pine.3.88.9509140912.A7931-0100000 at> kayes at SUNGCG.USOUTHAL.EDU ("Stephen G. Kayes") writes:
>	I thought malaria was a disease of mosquitos.  The mosquito is
>the definitive host for the plasmodium spp.  Humans are intermediate hosts.
Steve is absolutely correct here except for one very minor thing.
Yes Plasmodium spp. are parasites of mosquitoes vectored by mammals but
malaria is not a parasite... it is a disease caused in humans by Plasmodium spp.
As such, by definition, mosquitoes do not get malaria.

mes at                    I object to a cut-rate one"
Gloucester Point, VA, 23062