microfilaria - periodicity

Mark Siddall mes at zoo.toronto.edu
Sun Sep 17 22:26:31 EST 1995

In article <43hv12$dm2$1 at mhafm.production.compuserve.com> Eberhard Kniehl <100674.1442 at CompuServe.COM> writes:
>conc.: microfilariasis
>
>My question:
>
>What happens when the patient is transferred by plane, lets say
>from Asia to Europe. Do microfilaria have a strict 24h
>periodicity, that means: in Europe Wuchereria bancrofti will
>appear in peripheral blood in the afternoon, or do they have a
>day-light triggered cycle?

My understanding is that microfilariae do not carry pocket watches and that in
fact, this has more to do with the worms' responding to human diurnal
physiological changes.  I seem to recall something about oxygen
tension in the capillary beds of the lungs... but I'm sure someone else out
there has more insight.

Mark
Mark

Gloucester Point, VA, 23062