microfilaria - periodicity

Paul Turner Paul.Turner at jcu.edu.au
Fri Sep 22 05:41:35 EST 1995

Periodicity in microfilaraemia is, as I am sure you can imagine, quite
complicated.  There have been any numbers of hypothesis as to why it
happens including the one mentioned by Mark that is oxygen tension.  All
of these hypothesis, although theoretically plausible, lack scientific
evidence to prove any one of them.  The classical one mentioned by Mark is
that when a person retires to bed the oxygen concentration goes down and
the carbon dioxide levels go up and the microfilaria are triggered back
in the peripheral blood circulation.  This sounds OK but why then do
people kept awake and moving around by scientists waiting to take blood
to detect Microfilaria still get the microfilaria in their blood.

I am sure like most parasites life is not as compartmentalised as we
would like and the truth is a combination of a number of factors.  Like
most circadian rhythms the periodicity of microfilaria will change with
shift work or travel.