Elephantiasis picture needed!

His Satanic Majesty eskdale at mindspring.com
Wed Dec 4 03:23:44 EST 1996

kevin wrote:

 In article <329F1018.5FB0 at techunix.technion.ac.il>, bOaZ
 <zarad at techunix.technion.ac.il> wrote:

 Hi!

 Does anyone out there have the picture of the "elephant man" who's
David
 Lynch's movie was based upon, John Merrick? Please email it to me, I
 need it for an essay I'm preparing.

 I think you need to work on the text more before you start on the
figures.
 Merrick sufferred from neurofibromatosis type I (maybe, that is
 controversial-check it out), but he certainly did not suffer from
 elepahantiasis. They are completely unrelated diseases. Seems to me
that
 any essay about the guy should at least start with some consideration
of
 his disease, since that is what made him famous.

I agree.  Elephantiasis is a swelling of any limb (despite the common
belief that it pertains to male genitalia exclusively) caused by blocked
lymphatic channels, most often caused by infestation with worms that is
itself termed filariasis and Merrick did not suffer from that condition.