Worm identification

Kimo Morris morrisk at bcc.orst.edu
Wed Dec 4 12:16:57 EST 1996

An update to my earlier statement concerning Nematomorphs.

I have found some odd cases of Nematomorphs found in humans, a few of
which were passed per urethram.  Carvalho (1942) reported the passage
per urethram of a female gordian worm from a girl in Brazil.  Yeh and
Jordan (1957) also report such a case in a 5-year-old European girl in
East Africa (although this one is sketchy).  Craig and Faust (1974) also
note a gordiid worm passing per urethram in a South African girl.  All
these cases involve worms of different genera which suggests these are
isolated events that haphazardly involved humans.

Due to this latest evidence, I am increasingly interested in learning of
what the worms in question really are.  Please keep me updated.

-- Kimo

* A. Kimo Morris             Office - (541)737-2453 *
* Department of Entomology      FAX - (541)737-3643 *
* Oregon State University    E-Mail -               *
* Cordley Hall 2046            morrisk at bcc.orst.edu *
* Corvallis,OR 97331-2907,USA                       *