Postdoctoral position

Henri Vial vial at univ-montp2.fr
Fri Dec 13 03:12:38 EST 1996

Post Doctoral position at the University of Montpellier II, Sciences and
Technology (France), Laboratory of  Molecular Dynamics of Membrane
Interactions, CNRS UMR 5539.
During the last 15 years, we have developed a programme which aim was to
discover some metabolic reactions specific to the intracellular parasite
Plasmodium, the parasite causing malaria, and which can be pharmacologically
affected. We became interested in the lipid peculiarities of this
intracellular parasite. Until now, the major concern has been the
Biochemistry of Plasmodium, identifying and characterising some metabolic
pathways. For the last 10 years, our programme has also involved two teams
of chemists who synthesise new compounds to interfere with this metabolism.
We have then characterised the pharmacological target of these compounds
that gives outstanding efficiency both in vitro and in vivo against the
human malaria in monkeys (none of this work has been published yet due to
pending patents).
Postdoctoral position may concern 2 complementary areas  of research (choice
given).
1- Identification and isolation of the pharmacological target. Affinity
chromatography using a column of immobilised effectors is proposed. If
necessary, chemists will also synthesise photoreactive lead compound
derivatives. After microsequencing, the membranous protein will be
completely characterised through cloning of the gene and expression of the
protein. Pharmacological target cloning should allow its complete
characterisation, determination of the active site and help in the design of
new effectors. Sound knowledge in Biochemistry and current methodology in
Protein are requested.

2- It is of utmost interest to study the mechanisms of regulation of PL
biosynthesis pathways in Plasmodium for at least two reasons : some of them
can be involved in a parasite resistance against the effectors we are
developing, but also because some of these metabolic pathways are original
and appear to be very specific to Plasmodium. But now, we would like to
focus our studies using the gene (cloning, regulatory sequences e.g.
5'region studies for common upstream activating sequences as in yeast), and
the protein (produced by genetic engineering) (regulatory properties, drug
design for some of them). The postdoctoral position would mainly concern the
cloning of phosphatidylserine synthase, gene, which is specific to
procaryotes. Molecular and cellular biology methodologies are available in
the laboratory. Sound knowledge in complementation of a bacterial or yeast
mutant would be welcome.
  	PhD in Biochemistry or Molecular Biology, and experience either in
protein purification and characterisation or Molecular Biology (gene
cloning, mutant complementation) are required. The position will be for one
year, renewable (Eu funding). The position is available immediately.
Application, with a detailed CV and the names of two referees should be sent
to Dr. Henri VIAL, Dynamique moleculaire des Interactions Membranaires, CNRS
UMR 5539, Universite Montpellier II, case 107, Place Eugene Bataillon, 34095
Montpellier Cedex 05, France, Tel (+33) 04 67 14 37 45  (Direct), (++) 04 67
12 42 87  (secretary), Fax (+33) 04 67 14 42 86.
e-mail: vial at univ-montp2.fr