Giardia fecal ELISA tests

Charles T. Faulkner ctfaulkn at utkux.utcc.utk.edu
Fri Dec 13 09:19:09 EST 1996

On Fri, 13 Dec 1996, Dr. Gary Conboy wrote:

> Are there other fecal ELISA tests on the market (available in Canada, USA)
> other than ProSpecT and does anyone have any experience on their use in
> Veterinary diagnostics?  (I have the paper by Barr, Bowman & Erb, 1992)

	The Color Vue Giardia II is a double sandwich ELISA for Giardia
coproantigen in a microwell format. It is marketed by Seradyn, Indianpolis
(317) 266-2000. It is a bit pricey compared to the ZnSO4 flotation at
approx $15-20 per single sample.  In some limited experimental studies
with canines we had a couple of possible false positives in dogs that
never tested positive for cysts or antigen prior to tx with Panacur SID
x10.  However the dogs tested positive in our post-tx followup of the
kennel 4 and 10 days after the last FBZ treatment.  Of course it is always
possible that the animals were Giardia positive, but cysts (if present)
were at a density too low for detection by ZnSO4 flotation or the trophs
were so badly deteriorated (and dead) that only antigen was present. In
some other limited work with the Alexon's 1st generation tube assay we
found that a positive test result did not depend on the presence of
detectable cysts by ZnSO4 in confirmed positive animals.  The ProSpect
cite device assay appears to lack sensitivity as it consistently missed
infected dogs passing cysts in the stool.  We have not experimented with
the microwell format of this test, but I expect sensitivity to be better
than the cite device format.  I wonder if some of the problems with using
the test in veterinary populations are affected by possible antigenic
variability in Giardia now that our understanding of the organism is
increasing.  At present, we use the ELISA only sparingly because of its
cost, and our belief that 3 floats are more sensitive, and visualization
of the cyst is more specific.  Hope this is helpful.

     *  Charles T. Faulkner, M.A.                   *
     *  Clinical Parasitology Service               *
     *  Dept. of Comparative Medicine               *
     *  2407 River Drive                            *
     *  Knoxville, TN 37996-4500                    *
     *  Voice: (423) 974-5645  Fax: (423) 974-5640  *
     *  E-Mail: ctfaulkner at utk.edu                  *