How long do toxicara eggs last in soil?

Stephen G. Kayes kayes at SUNGCG.USOUTHAL.EDU
Thu Feb 1 02:33:37 EST 1996

	Richard makes a good point about infectivity (or viability)
falling off with time.  I believe Oshima published a paper on this around
1960 or 1961 in the Journal of Parasitology.  Its been sometime since I
read it but I believe he found significant loss of infectivity after only
90 days when eggs were maintained at room temp.  On the other hand,
regardles of the total decline, it only takes one infective ovum to give
an infection and  there is ample reason to believe that very, very light
infections tend to favor the development of ocular larva  migrans which
might be far worse than visceral larva migrans.  Again, I recognize that
OLM is a rare condition, but to a person who has it, its 100% of the cases.

	Steve Kayes