Infectivity of Ascarid eggs

Charles T. Faulkner ctfaulkn at utkux.utcc.utk.edu
Thu Feb 1 14:44:04 EST 1996

As a followup to the recent posts on Toxocara eggs in the soil, I'd like
to share an observation from our laboratory.  We keep our preserved
Toxascaris eggs for the Vet students refrigerated because they continue
to develope and larvate at room temp in 10% BNF, even after prolongled
storage for 1 year or more.  I really can't comment on their infective
potential, but if there are any volunteers out there who would
like to see if these eggs can produce an infection they are
welcome to try them out.

*      Charles T. Faulkner       *   Get your facts first and then you
*  Univ of Tennessee, Knoxville  *   can distort them as much as you please.
*     (ctfaulkner at utk.edu)       *                Mark Twain