Toxicara egg viability

Danny Thompson dat at bantam.demon.co.uk
Mon Feb 5 20:50:09 EST 1996

kayes at SUNGCG.USOUTHAL.EDU ("Stephen G. Kayes") wrote:

>Peter:
>
>	I would like to add to Paula's comment that, "sorry, they don't
>decay".
[snip]
> In practical terms in the lab we cannot kill them with
>organic solvents but we can rapidly kill them with a dilute iodine
>solution (Betadine diluted to 20 - 30%).

What is this?  Is there a commercial product that contains such a
mixture (obviously in the UK I would have to find a comparable
product).  Is this a "restricted" substance?

Sorry for all the questions but I am also very interested in this
topic for similar reasons.  The area in which I live has a large dog
population, most of it uncontrolled.  We have a large grass verge
outside of our house where the dogs (sometimes aided and abetted by
their owners) deposit their feces - if we're lucky they use the grass,
otherwise it is the pavement.

My concern is that we could bring the eggs into our house on our
footwear - our young children play on our carpeted floor and quite
possibly (probably?) our house is infected with the toxacara eggs.

The UK position seems to be "ignore it and it'll go away" but lately
more folks attention is being drawn and I was horrified at my findings
just one night on the Web.  If there is a chemical that I can put down
at my expense that will kill off the eggs I'm happy enough to buy it
by the tanker-load!

| Danny Thompson                                                  |
|              It's a Bird, innit!. It's a bloody sea bird......  |
|              .. it's not any bloody Flavour.   Albatross!       |