Toxicara egg viability

Stephen G. Kayes kayes at SUNGCG.USOUTHAL.EDU
Tue Feb 6 11:56:32 EST 1996

Danny:

	Two things in reply:  1st.  I am glad to see that people are
beginning to recognize the public health aspects of pet ownership.  There
are responsibilities that come with it such as good veterinary care and
perhaps taking a parasitology course now and then ;).  The answer to your
first question about the availability of betadine on your side of the
pond is yes it most likely is available at the pharmacy or at a hospital
supply company.  In hospital, it is used to decontaminate many things
including wounds and ulcers.  It is a hospital staple in this regard.
It is sometimes referred to as a "tamed iodine" solution.  The bad news
is that when I indicated that it rapidly kills the eggs, it does so when
the contaminated pipette, microscope slide, or flask is "immersed" in the
solution.  I don't know about its use to decontaminate the evironment.

	Secondly, as I indicated in a reply to Dr. Sun regarding testing
for ocular larva migrans, there is a really excellant book on Toxocara put
out by the British Parasitological Society.  For those who missed the
reference it is given here again.  Note that some of the authors are
British citizens and may even reside in your localities.  Feel free to
contact them for advice and suggestions as they would be most happy to
know that there work has made an impression on their neighbors.

	Toxocara and toxocariasis:  Clinical, Epidemilogical, and Molecular
	Perspectives.  Lewis, JW and Maizels, RM (eds.)  London, British
	Parasitological Society with The Institute of Biology, pp 169.

	Thanks for visiting with us.

	Steve Kayes