Parasite Survey of Peromyscus pectoralis (Rodentia:Muridae)

Scott Lyell Gardner slg at unl.edu
Wed Feb 21 02:34:25 EST 1996

Alberto Santos III <as31909 at swt.edu> wrote:
>I am a graduate student and have taken to surveying the metazoan
>parasites of P. pectoralis occuring on the Edwards Plateau in Central
>Texas.  I would appreciate any information on names or addresses of
>people that maybe working with the following nematodes: Syphacia,
>Longistriata, Protospirura (?).  These are a few of the helminths that I
>am struggling to identify.  I would appreciate also any reference to a
>key to species as well as a name of someone who can confirm (or even do;
>I mean if I'm going to ask for a little, I might as well ask for a lot!)
>my determinations.  I would appreciate ANY response and would love to
>field any inquiries.
>Thank you,
>Alberto Santos III
>Graduate Student
>Department of Biology
>Southwest Texas State University
>as31909 at swt.edu

Alberto:

How many individuals of _Peromyscus_ are you looking at?

We have the resources to do these types of studies in the Manter Lab, why not come up
here to Nebraska sometime in the fall and use our literature sources and
our comparative specimens to identify your
worms.

Are you also looking at the coccidia?  If you have not, you should start, no need
to repeat samples when you can do all of them (all parasites that is) at the same time.

Also, make sure to save voucher specimens of both hosts and parasites as your work
proceeds.

SCOTT GARDNER

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
Scott Lyell Gardner, Ph.D.        -We Do Parasites Here, All of Them-
Curator of Parasitology
H.W. Manter Laboratory of Parasitology
University of Nebraska State Museum
University of Nebraska, Lincoln
Lincoln, Nebraska 68588-0514

e-mail:             slg at unl.edu
FTP:        hydatid.unl.edu (E-mail or call for instructions)
WWW:   http://www-museum.unl.edu
Tel:           402-472-3334
Fax:   402-472-8949