toxo info/ manuscript recruitment

Jan Lay layja at musc.edu
Wed Feb 28 11:14:00 EST 1996

February 28, 1996

Dear BIONET.PARASITOLOGY group,

I wanted to post an additional "thank-you" to the many people who answered my recent
post on toxoplasmosis and pregnancy.  I hope that I responded to all who wrote with
at least a "thank-you."  The information that you all sent me (and are still sending
me) was very much appreciated and much more specific than what I could find in my
literature resources.

During these "conversations," I realized that this group would be the perfect place
to post an open invitation to authors to submit relevant papers to the Journal of
Agromedicine.  (As the Managing Editor of this journal, manuscript recruitment is
one of my never ending tasks.)  I believe that many of you who work with parasites
common to rural or agricultural settings might welcome another arena for your
research.  To further acquaint you with our diverse journal, I have included our
Position Statement below.  To those of you who might be interested in submitting
manuscripts to us, you can reach me at the following:

Jan Lay, MS
Managing Editor
Journal of Agromedicine
305 Harborview Tower
171 Ashley Avenue
Charleston, SC 29425

p) 803-792-4705
f) 803-792-4702
layja at musc.edu

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Jan

Journal of Agromedicine:  Position Statement

Stanley H. Schuman, MD, DrPH, Editor
Jan A. Lay, MS, Managing Editor

The Journal of Agromedicine is directed towards filling the gap between journals
already devoted to the health and agricultural sciences and focuses on the health
effects of agricultural activities on workers, consumers and the environment.

Accepted contributions will advance the understanding of how agricultural sciences
and health sciences can work together to promote health in those who produce food
and fiber and those who consume products of agriculture, forestry, and fisheries.

Of special interest will be the morbidity and mortality of agricultural and
associated industrial workers, food quality and safety, frontiers of nutrition,
biotechnology and cancer prevention, cultural diversity and international
cooperation in food production in a global economy, environmental issues pertaining
to agricultural production, and teamwork between consumers, producers, regulatory
agencies, researchers and health professionals.

SUBMISSION OF MANUSCRIPTS:  Manuscripts relevant to any aspect of agricultural
medicine are solicited.  Topics should emphasize the prevention of disease or trauma
and the promotion of health.  This would include but not be limited to manuscripts
on morbidity and mortality of agricultural and associated industrial workers, food
quality and safety, cultural diversity and international cooperation in food and
fiber production, risk assessment/risk management, pesticide use and related
illness, biotechnology affecting human health, innovations in extension, and cancer
prevention.  English-language contributions from any country are invited and may be
national or international in scope.

CONTRIBUTION CATEGORIES:  Categories include scientific research, case reports,
position papers, literature reviews, new technology, Agromedical meeting highlights,
book reviews and letters to the editor.  All manuscripts, queries about potential
submissions, and letters to the editor should be sent to the Managing Editor.  All
communications will be acknowledged.

REVIEW POLICY:  All manuscripts will be peer reviewed.

STYLE.  Manuscripts should be prepared in accordance with the uniform requirements
for manuscripts submitted to biomedical journals using the Vancouver style for
references (N Engl J Med 1991; 324:424-8; BMJ 1991 Feb 9;302(6772)).