Toxicara egg viability

Stephen G. Kayes kayes at SUNGCG.USOUTHAL.EDU
Tue Jan 30 22:59:57 EST 1996

Peter:

	I would like to add to Paula's comment that, "sorry, they don't
decay". She is correct.  However, I am not too sure your local vet will be
of any help other than supportive.  The eggs can overwinter in the frozen
reaches of Canada and survive the hot (but extremely moist) summers where
I live (Gulf of Mexico).  In the lab I culture Toxocara eggs in 1 N NaOH
(Lye) for 30 min and then maintain them indefinitely in 0.1 N sulphuric
acid (H2SO4).  They have also been maintained in dilute formalin
(embalming fluid).  In practical terms in the lab we cannot kill them with
organic solvents but we can rapidly kill them with a dilute iodine
solution (Betadine diluted to 20 - 30%).

	I have seen reference made recently to a device called a
horticulturist's flame gun which sounds remarkably like a flame thrower
to me.  If the purpose of such a device is to scorch the earth, you might
succeed.  You might want to consider high pressure steam applied for a
period of several minutes although this doesn't sound too practical.  Also
might consider turning over the soil so as to deeply bury the surface
soil; also not too practical.

	Lastly, Dr. Beaver has written eloquently of soil transmitted
helminth eggs being spread across the surface of the earth by rain
splatter and the action of dung beetles.  Thus, consider that the eggs
you thought were in but a single place may be spread all about your back
yard.

	--Just when you thought it was safe to go back to the yard.

	Steve Kayes

    /\/     /\//\/         /\/      /\/ ! Structural & Cellular Biology !
   /\/     /\//\/         /\/      /\/  ! University of South Alabama   !