Flea banishing: is there a chemical-free way?

Michelle Gleeson michelle at MOLECULE.BIO.UTS.EDU.AU
Mon Jul 29 18:08:13 EST 1996

On 29 Jul 1996, Teri Johnston wrote:

> For getting rid of fleas get Boric Acid from your local Dollar Store.
> Apply to all floor surfaces, broom into carpet and or cracks in wooden
> floors. Also apply to all cloth furniture work in with broom. Do NOT
> Vacum for 3 days. This will keep your house flea free for 1 yr appx.
> Bathe your cat in Dr. Bonners Peppermint Soap to kill fleas on your cat.
> I have a kennel of 13 long haired dogs and 1 cat and have been using this
> method for 6 yrs and have been flea free.
>
> Teri at firesidedogs at earthlink.net

Wow! I suggest you check out the materials safety data sheet for boric
acid first (under B index at http://physchem.ox.ac.uk/MSDS/) - avoid
contact with eyes, skin, clothing, avoid breathing dust, use with adequate
 ventilation... ingestion is harmful and may be fatal, over exposure may
cause kidney and liver damage  etc etc etc.  Somehow I think some of those
exhaustively tested "nasty" pesticides may do you less harm.  Someone else
suggested eucalyptus extract, which would probably work, however in
Australia children have died after ingesting as little as a few
teaspoonsful.  Just because it is natural doesn't mean it is safe!

Michelle
michelle.gleeson at uts.edu.au