bird parasites

LINDA GOOSSEN goossenl at GVSU.EDU
Wed Jul 31 11:46:49 EST 1996

          A student at the university (Grand Valley State -
          Allendale, MI) is helping a biology professor with some lab
          studies on tree swallows.  The student has found a parasite
          -  in the bird feces  - and needs to identify it.  First of
          all, I'd like a good reference book or text for avian
          parasites, and second -  maybe someone has an idea of what
          organism it may be.  The student describes it as : small
          (Maybe 10 u). oval, greenish tint, bipolar knobs of some
          sort, and ciliated (he thinks)  -  I know that's vague  -  I
          haven't seen the parasite,  but told him I would seek
          further information for him.  Could someone out there in
          bird-land help us.  Thanks a million!