Dracunculoids and Otters QUERY

Mark Siddall mes at vims.edu
Wed Jul 31 07:46:17 EST 1996

A vet has called me about IDing something that they found on the
flank of a f/w otter.  They called me because they thought it was a
leech.  I have yet to look at it but from the sounds of it, it ain't no
leech.  The first thing that came to my mind was a dracunculoid nematode
sticking her tuckus out to disperse eggs.  I will likely look at this
later this week when they bring it in, but if my suspicions are correct
even if it is a dracunculoid, they likely left the head in the otter
which will make it difficult to ID.

So my question is:

Anybody know of any dracunculoid nematodes in North American mustellids,
esp. in freshwater otters?

Thanks,

Mark