cyclospora/strawberries

N S Uyeda nsuyeda at aol.com
Sun Jun 23 11:03:27 EST 1996

I asked about this on the microbiology group and maybe should have started
here myself. The connection is a statistical one and not backed by any
hard evidence that will be needed to make the case. Calif. strawberries
have been extensively tested and no cyclospora found. With everyone eating
strawberries right now cases should be found in more places. You are
right, this doesn't make sense. Of interest to me is the fact that it
tends to happen around large parties, and an outbreak in Chicago a few
years ago that was blamed on water (the bug was never found in the water)
happened after a big party in a doctors' dorm. Studies are still ongoing
and may provide the missing puzzle pieces.
Susan Uyeda
Santa Cruz, Calif.