(no subject)

Richard Speare Richard.Speare at jcu.edu.au
Sun Mar 10 21:49:02 EST 1996

Dear David

On 10 Mar 1996 david.wharton at stonebow.otago.ac.nz wrote:

> I am currently designing a first year university laboratory class on
> Malaria. I'd be interested to hear of any resources that are available.

John Walker and Guy Cox Software have produced a program on CD-ROM or
floppy disk that deals with morphology of stages of all species of Plasmodium
infecting humans.  This is titled: The Malaria File.  It is available
from Guy Cox Software, P.O. Box 366, Rozelle, NSW, 2039 Australia
Phone / fax: -61-(0)2-8181896.

It is quite useful for teaching if you have the computer setup.

The American Society of Clinical Pathologists have an excellent
projection slide set on human parasites which includes slides of all
species of Plasmodium.  However, I have not yet been able to purchase a
set in spite of requests on several occasions.  If you can get the set,
it is very useful for teaching.

For teaching malaria, the best book is Basic Malaria Microscopy Part I.
Learner's Guide (for the students & you) and Part II. Tutor's Guide (for
you). This is a 1991 WHO production. ISBN 92 4 154430 9 (pt 1) and 92 4
154431 7 (pt 2).  Absolutely essential. And they make teaching so easy!

Rick Speare

Department of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
James Cook University

Phone:	-61-(0)77-225710
Fax:	-61-(0)77-715032
email:	Richard.Speare at jcu.edu.au