filariasis - elephantiasis HELP!

William Reeder "wmr-60 at xi.netcom.com" at ix.netcom.com
Sat Nov 2 03:21:20 EST 1996

Mr P Vagenas wrote:

> Hi everybody!
>
> Could someone tell me what is the difference between
> filariasis and elephantiasis? Is elephantiasis just a long
> term symptom of filariasis?
>
> Thanks a lot! :)
>
> Panos Vagenas
>
> (p.vagenas at ic.ac.uk)Elephantiasis can be due to filarial infection or it can occur without
filarial infection.  Non filarial elephantiasis is common in East Africa.
 It is a disease of the rural community and occurs when microparticles of
silica and aluminosilicates enter the lymphatics of the lower limbs.
This occurs when the tiny crystals are pounded into the skin through
years of walking barefoot.  Besides Africa it occurs in Northwestern
India (and possibly Sri Lanka), parts of Indonesia, Central America and
on some Pacific Islands.  The onset occurs most often in persons between
10 and 19 years of age.  A burning sensation following a long walk often
is the first symptom.  The lower legs become progessively involved over a
period of years.  Usually the lower leg only is involved.  The
elephantitis that occurs is a permanent condition.  The term podoconiosis
is sometimes used to describe non-filarial elephantitis.