Release Number 1 of Onchocerciasis and Filariasis Bibliographies

Mark Blaxter mark.blaxter at ed.ac.uk
Fri Nov 8 10:38:27 EST 1996

Dear All

The first release of the Onchocerciasis Bibliography and the Filariasis
bibliography is ready to go!

Thanks to funding from the McConnell Clark Foundation and the generosity of
the international Filariasis Association (Ralph Muller) we have constructed
a database of over 21,000 refernces on filariasis and onchocerciasis,
dating from 1634 to 1996. The database is in a format readily accessible to
most personal computer reference management programs, and is designed to be
installed locally. The project took significantly longer than originally
planned (due to difficulties in data translation between the 1980's
computer tapes of the IFA's bibliography and modern PCs).

The database is available NOW by anonymous ftp and through the world wide web.

Point your browser at http://helios.bto.ed.ac.uk/mbx/BiblioFil/bibliofil.html.

The www pages will direct you to the set of archive files you want...

Currently, only an Endnote version is available (for both Windows PC and
Macintosh flavours of Endnote). We will be making other versions available
as we prepare them - next on the list is a flat file Refer/BibIX format
version, which should be readable by most other reference management
programs.

We will be posting the www pages and hopefiully also the archive to
additional sites in other quarters of the globe to aid rapid download to
extra-European sites.

The files are actually archived in Cambridge UK (at
ftp://ftp.ebi.ac.uk/pub/databases/parasites/Brugia/BiblioFil) and can be
downloaded by anonymous ftp directly from there.

Mac users should download files (ONLY those ending in .sea.hqx) using
MacBinary: they will be rewarded with a self-extracting archive which when
launched will uncompress itself to give an Endnote database.

Windows users should download files ending in .gz, and use WinZip to unpack
the reference databases.

(Your WWW browser should be able to do some or all of the unpacking for you
if it is configured correctly).

I hope that this first release is useful to your research. Please do not
hesitate to contact me if you have any suggestions, queries or problems
with the current dataset. In particular, if you have ADDITIONS to the
dataset, do send the references to me.

Mark