Paratenic host?

Omar O. Barriga oobarrig at pop.service.ohio-state.edu
Sat Nov 9 17:49:01 EST 1996

In article <3283BB69.62DA at cict.fr> J-F Magnaval <magnaval at cict.fr> writes:
>From: J-F Magnaval <magnaval at cict.fr>
>Newsgroups: bionet.parasitology
>Subject: Paratenic host?
>Date: Fri, 08 Nov 1996 14:59:53 -0800

>Hello everyone!

>Could someone give me:
>- an exact definition of what the "paratenic" status is?
>- the substantive corresponding with the adjective "paratenic"?
>- the translation of the greek roots of the substantive?

>Thank a lot for the help!

>--
>Jean-François Magnaval, M.D., Dr.Sc..
>Lab. Parasitologie
>CHU Purpan
>31059 Toulouse France
>Phone 33 61 77 20 12
>Fax   33 61 77 23 78

I define paratenic host as that host that permits the maintenance but not the
development of a larval parasite. My classic example is Toxocara canis in mice.
It differs from the intermediate host because it is not necessary for the
cycle of the parasite. I tell my students that paratenic (or transport) hosts
allow the parasite to persist in nature during periods of rough environmental
condition under the comparative milder environment of these host.
Paratenic may come from Gr. para = next to, close to, and taxes = arrengement,
thisa is, someone who finds refuge nedt to you.
The noun (substantive) may be "parataxis" although I can't be sure, English is
my sefcond language.
If anybody has a differnt opiniuon about this, HE/SHE IS WRONG
[Just kidding. guys :-) ] . . . I'd like to hear them.

	Hope it helped,

				Omar O. Barriga