BLASTOCYSTIS HOMINIS

Graham Clark graham.clark at lshtm.ac.uk
Mon Nov 11 07:39:58 EST 1996

GROTZ at msn.com (LAST SNOWBIRD) said:

>RECENT DIAGNOSE OF BLASTOCYSTIS HOMINIS.I AM ON
>DR.CLARK'S PROTOCOL.WORMWOOD-BLACK WALNUT-CLOVES.CAN ANYBODY GIVE ANY
>INFO ABOUT THAT PARASITE ?IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IF THE PROTOCOL
>WORKED,I'LL LET YOU KNOW.
>GUS

First of all I need to say that I am NOT the Dr. Clark referred to above!

Relatively little is known about Blastocystis hominis compared to
most parasites and not everyone agrees on all points. Approximately
equal numbers of doctors think that it causes disease as those who
do not believe it does. The reason for this is quite simply that
most people infected show no symptoms at all that can be linked to
the presence of the parasite. In any event, the most it is thought
to cause is diarrhea, although from time to time other symptoms are
also attributed to Blastocystis infection. It is never fatal. Flagyl
is the drug used to treat this and other intestinal parasites and
some bacterial infections too. I have no knowledge of the herbal
remedy described above.

My own tendency would be to undergo treatment only if I had symptoms
and no other possible cause could be found. Flagyl is a relatively
safe drug but can have mild side effects in some cases so if there
are no symptoms due to the infection why take the risk?! Likewise
with the herbal remedy ...

Blastocystis infection is probably the most common parasitic
infection in the world. Some surveys indicate infection rates of 10%
in Europe and North America and up to 50% in developing countries.

Finding additional information on Blastocystis depends on what sort
of library you have access to. A recent review of what is known about
this organism is by Stenzel and Boreham in Clinical Microbiology Reviews
volume 9 pages 563-584 published in 1996.  This journal should be
found in most medical school libraries and in many larger university
libraries.

I hope this has helped.

Graham Clark
C. Graham Clark, Ph.D.
Department of Medical Parasitology,
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine,
Keppel Street, London WC1E 7HT, England, G.B.
e-mail: g.clark at lshtm.ac.uk