Paratenic host?

Mictlantecuhtli mrigby at gpu5.srv.ualberta.ca
Fri Nov 15 00:15:10 EST 1996

derek a. zelmer (zelmeda4 at WFU.EDU) wrote:

[lots of stuff deleted]

: development of the parasite. Thus the odonate bridges the ecological gap
: between the ostracod and the definitive host with no development by the
: parasite, and is therefore a paratenic host.
:
: Derek Zelmer

This concurs with my work on camallanid nematodes.  There is only one necessary
intermediate host (copepods), where all development to an infective stage occurs,
for infection of the definitive host (coral reef fishes).  However, most of the
definitive coral reef fish hosts that I have found, do not eat copepods, but do
eat other and larger crustaceans as well as small fishes, which may be
infected with camallanids.  Therefore, in order to reach potential definitive
hosts, many camallanid nematodes may use paratenic hosts, in which no development
will occur, as "trophic bridges" or "trophic channels" to move up the food web and
reach other potential definitive hosts/

-- Mark Rigby, University of Alberta, Edmonton AB, Canada T6G 2E9

"Chilam Balam"                           "Millenium"