Aedes oviposition attractants

D.L. Knudson dknudson at klab.agsci.colostate.edu
Tue Nov 19 13:00:49 EST 1996

Peter Dauscher wrote:

> Hi, netters,
>
> can anybody give me some hints, where to find some literature
> databases or recent articles about oviposition attractants for aedine
> mosquitoes (Ae. vexans, Ae. albopictus, Ae. cinereus, etc.)
>
> The NOVAK & HORSFALL and MOUSSIGT bibliographies I have already included
> in my private database.
>
> Thanx in advace
> Peter
>
> PS: Please send email to
>
>    roku at perdix.biologie.uni-mainz.de

Here is an example of a MsqDB search for "*ovi*" AND "*attract*" in the
title.

   1) andre-1977-04588
        AN OVIPOSITION ATTRACTANT OF PUPAL ORIGIN IN CULEX SALINARIUS.
        Andreadis, T. G..
        Mosquito News 37, 53-56 (1977)

    2) anony-1977-39819
    A method of evaluating ovipositional attractants of Aedes aegypti
(Diptera:
        culicidae), with preliminary results.
        Anonymous.
        Journal of Medical Entomology 14, 129-131 (1977)

    3) beehl-1990-58641
        A field evaluation of two suggested Aedes triseriatus
oviposition
        attractants.
        Beehler, J. W., DeFoliart, G. R..
        Journal of the American Mosquito Control Association 6, 720-722
(1990)

    4) beehl-1994-01057
     Protein hydrolysates and associated bacterial contaminants as
oviposition
        attractants for the mosquito Culex quinquefasciatus.
        Beehler, J. W., Millar, J. G., Mulla, M. S..
        Medical and Veterinary Entomology 8, 381-385 (1994)

    5) bentl-1976-00489
    STUDIES OF AEDES TRISERIATUS OVIPOSITION ATTRACTANTS PRODUCED BY
LARVAE OF
        AEDES TRISERIATUS AND AEDES ATROPALPUS (DIPTERA: CULICIDAE).
        Bentley, M. D., et-al.-.
        J Med Ent 13, 112-115 (1976)

    6) bentl-1976-62659
    Studies of Aedes triseriatus oviposition attractants producted by
larvae of
        Aedes triseriatus and Aedes atropalpus (Diptera: Culicidae).
        Bentley, M. D., McDaniel, T. N., Lee-/hp, stiehl, B., Yatagai,
M..
        Journal of Medical Entomology 13, 112-115 (1976)

    7) bentl-1982-65239
    Studies of 4-methylcyclohexanol: an Aedes triseriatus (Diptera:
Culicidae)
        oviposition attractant.
        Bentley, M. D., McDaniel, I. N., Davis, E. E..
        Journal of Medical Entomology 19, 589-592 (1982)

    8) davis-1976-11314
    A RECEPTOR SENSITIVE TO OVIPOSITION SITE ATTRACTANTS OF THE ANTENNAE
OF THE
        MOSQUITO, AEDES AEGYPTI.
        Davis, E. E..
        J Insect Physiol 22, 1371-1376 (1976)

    9) davis-1976-27698
    A receptor sensitive to oviposition site attractants on the antennae
of the
        mosquito, Aedes Aegypti.
        Davis, E. E..
        Journal of Insect Physiology 22, 1371-1376 (1976)

    10) field-1965-63821
        Attractiveness of dyed waters as oviposition sites to Culex
        tritaeniorhynchus.
        Field, G., Matsui, T..
        Journal of Economic Entomology 58, 1172-1173 (1965)

    11) hazar-1967-27030
        ATTRACTION AND OVIPOSITION STIMULATION OF GRAVID FEMALE
MOSQUITOES BY
        BACTERIA ISOLATED FROM HAY INFUSIONS.
        Hazard, E. I.,  M., Savage, K. e..
        Mosquito News 27, 133-136 (1967)

    12) holck-1988-48014
       Attractant enhanced ovitraps for the surveillance of container
breeding
        mosquitoes.
        Holck, A. R., Meek, C. L., Holck, J. C..
        Journal of the American Mosquito Control Association 4, 97-98
(1988)

    13) ikesh-1965-18399
       AN ATTRACTANT FOR OVIPOSITING CULEX PIPIENS FATIGENS WIED.
OCCURRING IN
        BREEDING FIELD WATERS.
        Ikeshoji, T..
        Who Vector Cont 130 (1965)

    14) ikesh-1966-08372
    Studies on mosquito attractants and stimulants. II. A laboratory
technique
        for obtaining mosquito eggs by forced oviposition.
        Ikeshoji, T..
        Japanese Journal of Experimental Medicine 36, 61-65 (1966)

    15) ikesh-1966-16404
        Studies on mosquito attractants and stimulants. I. Chemical
factors
       determining the choice of oviposition site by Culex pipens
fatigans and
        pallens.
        Ikeshoji, T..
        Japanese Journal of Experimental Medicine 36, 49-59 (1966)

    16) ikesh-1966-20514
      STUDIES ON MOSQUITO ATTRACTANTS AND STIMULANTS. PART I. CHEMICAL
FACTORS
      DETERMINING THE CHOICE OF OVIPOSITION SITE BY CULEX PIPIENS
FATIGANS AND
       PALLENS. PART II. A LABORATORY TECHNIQUE FOR OBTAINING MOSQUITO
EGGS BY
    FORCED OVIPOSITION. PART III. THE PRESENCE IN MOSQUITO BREEDING
WATERS OF A
        FACTOR WHICH STIMULATES OVIPOSITION.
        Ikeshoji, T..
        Japj Expt Med 36, 49-65 (1966)

    17) ikesh-1966-27098
        STUDIES ON OVIPOSITIONAL ATTRACTANTS AND STIMULANTS OF CULEX
PIPIENS
        FATIGANS AND PALLENS.
        Ikeshoji, T..
        Jap J Expt Med 36, 11P (1966)

    18) ikesh-1966-31419
    Studies on mosquito attractants and stimulants. 3. The presence in
mosquito
        breeding waters of a factor which stimulates oviposition.
        Ikeshoji, T..
        Japanese Journal of Experimental Medicine 36, 67-72 (1966)

    19) ikesh-1966-36544
    ATTRACTANT AND STIMULANT FACTORS FOR OVIPOSITION OF CULEX PIPIENS
FATIGANS
        IN NATURAL BREEDING-SITES.
        Ikeshoji, T..
        WHO Bul 35, 905-912 (1966)

    20) ikesh-1967-17316
    STUDIES ON MOSQUITO ATTRACTANTS AND STIMULANTS. PART IV. AN AGENT
PRODUCING
        STIMULATIVE EFFECTS FOR OVIPOSITION OF CULEX PIPIENS FATIGANS IN
FIELD
        WATER AND THE SIMULATIVE EFFECTS OF VARIOUS CHEMICALS.
        Ikeshoji, T., Umino, T., Hirakoso, S..
        Jap J Expt Med 37, 61-69 (1967)

    21) ikesh-1967-33637
       Studies on mosquito attractants and stimulants. IV. AAn agent
producing
        stimulative effects for oviposition of Culex pipiens fatigans in
field
        water and the stimulative effects of various chemicals.
        Ikeshoji, T., Umino, T., Hirakoso, S..
        Japanese Journal of Experimental Medicine 37, 61-69 (1967)

    22) ikesh-1968-51001
        STUDIES ON MOSQUITO ATTRACTANTS AND STIMULANTS. V.
GAS-CHROMATOGRAPHIC
       SEPARATION OF THE ATTRACTANTS FOR OVIPOSITION OF CULEX PIPIENS
FATIGANS
        FROM THE FIELD WATER.
        Ikeshoji, T..
        Appl Ent Zool 3, 176-188 (1968)

    23) ikesh-1970-45544
    OVIPOSITION ATTRACTANTS FOR FOUR SPECIES OF MOSQUITOES IN NATURAL
BREEDING
        WATERS.
        Ikeshoji, T., Mulla, M. S..
        Ent Soc Amer Ann 63, 1322-1327 (1970)

    24) ikesh-1974-64370
        ATTRACTANCY AND REPELLENCY OF ALKYL CARBONYL COMPOUNDS FOR
MOSQUITO
        OVIPOSITION.
        Ikeshoji, T., Mulla, M. S..
           (1974)

    25) ikesh-1975-38687
        CHEMICAL ANALYSIS OF WOOD-CREOSOTE FOR SPECIES-SPECIFIC
ATTRACTION OF
        MOSQUITO OVIPOSITION.
        Ikeshoji, T..
        Appl Ent And Ool (Tokyo) 10, 302-308 (1975)

    26) ikesh-1975-49262
      BACTERIAL PRODUCTION OF THE OVI POSITIONAL ATTRACTANTS FOR
MOSQUITOES ON
        FATTY ACID SUBSTRATES.
        Ikeshoji, T., Saito, K., Yano, A..
        Appl Ent And Zool (Tokyo) 10, 239-242 (1975)

    27) kalpa-1973-41248
        OVIPOSITION ATTRACTANT PRODUCED BY IMMATURE AEDES ATROPALPUS.
        Kalpage, K. S. P., Brust, R. A..
        Environmtl Ent 2, 729-730 (1973)

    28) krasn-1980-60296
     [Attractant properties of peptides for oviparous female Aedes
aegypti and
        Culex pipiens molestus mosquitoes]. [RUSSIAN]
        Krasnobrizhii, N. I. a., Kovalenko, L. G., Skrynik, E. M..
        Meditsinskaia Parazitologiia i Parazitarnye Bolezni 49, 65-68
(1980)

    29) mcdan-1976-24405
        EFFECTS OF COLOR AND LARVAL-PRODUCED OVIPOSITION ATTRACTANTS ON
        OVIPOSITIOLN OF AEDES TRISERIATUS.
        Mcdaniel, I. N.,  M., Yatagai, M..
        Environmtl Ent 5, 553-556 (1976)

    30) milla-1992-12244
     Identification of oviposition attractants for Culex
quinquefasciatus from
        fermented Bermuda grass infusions.
        Millar, J. G., Chaney, J. D., Mulla, M. S..
        Journal of the American Mosquito Control Association 8, 11-17
(1992)

    31) odino-1983-22195
        [New regioselective synthesis of racemic
7,11-dimethyloctadecane--an
        ovipositon attractant for the yellow fever mosquito (Aedes
aegypti)].
        [RUSSIAN]
        Odinokov, V. N., Akhmetova, V. R., Tolstikov, G. A..
        Doklady Akademii Nauk SSSR 271, 1143-1145 (1983)

    32) olson-1977-48977
    SOIL MOISTURE CONDITIONS THAT ARE MOST ATTRACTIVE TO OVIPOSITION
FEMALES OF
        PSOROPHORA COLUMBIAE IN TEXAS RICELANDS.
        Olson, J. K., Meek, C. L..
        Mosquito News 37, 19-26 (1977)

    33) osgoo-1971-15649
    AN AIR-FLOW OLFACTOMETER FOR DISTINGUISHING BETWEEN OVIPOSITION
ATTRACTANTS
        AND STIMULANTS OF MOSQUITOES.
        Osgood, C. E., Kempster, R. H..
        J Econ Ent 64, 1109-1110 (1971)

    34) reise-1990-10824
    Attractiveness of selected oviposition substrates for gravid Culex
tarsalis
        and Culex quinquefasciatus in California.
        Reisen, W. K., Meyer, R. P..
        Journal of the American Mosquito Control Association 6, 244-250
(1990)

    35) rober-1973-55068
        A METHOD OF EVALUATING OVIPOSITIONAL ATTRACTANTS OF AEDES
AEGYPTI (L.).
        Roberts, D. R., Hsi, B. P..
           (1973)

    36) scott-1990-62166
        Effects of house sparrow age and arbovirus infection on
attraction of
        mosquitoes.
        Scott, T. W., Lorenz, L. H., Edman, J. D..
        Journal of Medical Entomology 27, 856-863 (1990)

    37) sucha-1980-46579
    The presence of oviposition attractants of Aedes albopictus larval
holding
        water on Aedes aegypti.
        Sucharit, S., Tumrasvin, W., Vutikes, S., Leemingsawat, S..
    Southeast Asian Journal of Tropical Medicine and Public Health 11,
417-418 (1980)

    38) tyagi-1981-49950
    Scavenger snail secretion as an ovipositional attractant for Aedes
aegypti.
        Tyagi, D., Wattal, B. L., Biswas, S., Sihgh, K..
        Journal of Communicable Diseases 13, 132-135 (1981)

--
Dr. Dennis L. Knudson, Professor of Entomology and Microbiology
Telephone: 970 491-7255          Internet:dknudson at lamar.colostate.edu
      Fax: 970 491-3862          URL http://klab.agsci.colostate.edu/