test for cryptosporidium

Graham Vesey gvesey at RNA.BIO.MQ.EDU.AU
Thu Oct 10 03:01:40 EST 1996

Hi Andrew,

For testing clinical samples have a look at:

Casemore,DP (1991) Laboratory methods for diagnosing
cryptosporidiosis. Journal of Clinical Pathology 44, 445-451.

Garcia,LS; Bruckner,DA; Brewer,TC; Shimizu,RY (1983) Techniques for
the recovery and identification of Cryptosporidium oocysts from stool
specimens. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 18, 185-190.

For testing water samples have a look at:

Clancy, J.L., Gollnitz, W.D. and Tabib, Z. (1994) Commercial labs - how
accurate are they. Journal of the American Water Works Association 86,
89-97.

Vesey, G., Hutton, P.E., Champion, A.C., Ashbolt, N.J., Williams, K.L.,
Warton, A. and Veal, D.A. (1994) Application of flow cytometric methods
for the routine detection of Cryptosporidium and Giardia in water.
Cytometry 16, 1-6.

For general info on crypto look at:

O'Donoghue, P.J. (1995) Cryptosporidium and cryptosporidiosis in man and
animals. International Journal for Parasitology 25, 1-55.

If you're after reagents we have FITC conjugated monoclonal antibodies
that are suitable for water testing and for clinical samples.
Like all available antibodies to Cryptosporidium oocysts our antibodies
react with both live and dead oocysts and cross react with species of
crypto other than C. parvum.

Alternatively we have fluorescently labelled oligonucleotide probes that
are specific to Cryptosporidium parvum ribosomal rRNA.  They do not react
with other species of Cryptosporidium.  These probes can be used in a
simple fluorescent in situ hybridisation procedure to label oocysts in
water or clinical samples.  The probes only bind to viable oocysts (we
think).

Let me know if you want more info or reagents.
Graham Vesey
Australian Environmental Flow Cytometry Group
School of Biological Sciences,     .-.--:_:\
Macquarie University,            _/         \
Sydney,                         :   AEFCG    |
Australia NSW 2109.             \_          /
Tel- 612 850 8150                 '-''''\__/
Fax- 612 850 8174                        V