(no subject)

J-F Magnaval magnaval at cict.fr
Thu Oct 10 18:30:47 EST 1996

J. Dupouy-Camet wrote:

> > Andrew Garrood (andrew at roodnet.demon.co.uk)
> > Tue, 08 Oct 1996 20:39:29 GMT
> >
> > To: parasitology at net.bio.net
> >
> > From: andrew at roodnet.demon.co.uk (Andrew Garrood)
> >
> > Subject: test for cryptosporidium
> >
> > Date: Tue, 08 Oct 1996 20:39:29 GMT
> >
> > Does anybody know of a diagnostic test for cryptosporidium either in
> > water or
> > clinical samples.
> >
> > ~===========================================================================~
> > Andrew Garrood - andrew at roodnet.demon.co.uk (Home)
> >
> Thursday, 10 Oct 1996
>
> You can use a Ziehl modified technique or more conveniently an auramine staining as for Mycobacteria. This last technic is very sens=
> itive but you will have to use a UV microscope.
> J. Dupouy-Camet MD, PhD
> Parasitology, Cochin Hospial
> Paris, FranceWe use auramine method for detecting Cryptosporidium oocyst since 1985
(about ten tests a week). It is cheap, easy to read (oocysts look like
bright yellow structures on a dark ground) and fast. We did a comparative
(unpublished) study and we found it as sensitive and as specific as
Ziehl-modified technique, but no so time consuming (and somewhat
boring!!!).
In brief, this method associates the qualities of the commercial
immunofluorescent assays, and of the classical Ziehl staining.
See J Clin Pathol, 1991, 44, 445-451: DP casemore "Laboratory methods for
diagnosing cryptosporidiasis"

--
Jean-François Magnaval, M.D., Dr.Sc..
Lab. Parasitologie