Mounting medium

Al Shostak al.shostak at ualberta.ca
Tue Oct 22 10:27:11 EST 1996

We have had similar problems with Permount and are now trying  a
synthetic product called Piccolyte, produced by Ward's.  It is
inexpensive (about $30/100 ml) compared with Balsam, but seems to
work well on thicker specimens.  It is a relatively new product (5 to 10
years) so I will not swear to its archival properties, but it has seemed
satisfactory over several years.  Our histologists suggests ringing the
slide with nail varnish for a bit of added security.

Al Shostak
University of Alberta