Info on Pentastomida in Australia needed

Richard Speare Richard.Speare at
Wed Sep 11 07:50:55 EST 1996

> During my current research I have come across an occurence of
> Pentastomida (Family Linguatulidae)in a Macropod in Central Queensland,
> Australia.  My literature research did not turn up any previous reports
> on its previous occurance in Australia.  Does anyone have any references
>  about Pentastomida occurance in Australia.  Please E-mail me.
>   Thank you Conny

Pentastomida certainly occur in Australia, but I am not aware of any
reports in macropods. I am not up with the current literature, but I know
of the following sources:

Pullar, E.M. 1936. A note on the occurrence of Linguatula serrata
(Frohlich 1789) in Australia. Australian Veterinary Journal 12: 61.

Riley, J., Sprent, D.M. and Presidente, P.J.A. 1985. Pentastomids
(Arthropoda) parasites in Australian reptiles and mammals. Australian
Journal of Zoology 33: 39.

Do you mind providing details on the species of macropod, location, stage
of parasite, and identity of parasite?

Rick Speare

Department of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
James Cook University

Phone:	-61-(0)77-225710
Fax:	-61-(0)77-715032
email:	Richard.Speare at