Help for Latin American medical school

Omar O. Barriga oobarrig at pop.service.ohio-state.edu
Tue Apr 1 02:48:39 EST 1997

Dear friends:

	Please allow me to use a few minutes of your time to request some
important information.

	After almost 30 years of academic work in the USA, I have been
appointed the Chair of the Department of Parasitology in a Medical School
in South America. My job is to develop the Department and its faculty
into a teaching and research group of international reputation. I
will have a couple of very good senior professors and a bunch of bright
but inexperienced young faculty.

	Obviously, I will need funds to equip the Department and support
research and teaching. I am very familiar with the sources of research and
teaching support in the USA but not at all with similar sources interested
in supporting the work in Latin American medical schools.

	The main areas of research I am considering (because the Department has
done some work on them already) are: Chagas' disease, toxocariasis,
ectoparasites, diagnosis by immunology and molecular biology techniques,
clinical aspects, and epidemiology/public health. I do not exclude, however,
other areas that may be of interest to funding organizations.

	I would appreciate very much any information about sources of research
or teaching funding for Parasitology in Medical Schools of Latin America.

	I am very grateful for your assistance.

						Omar O. Barriga
					E-mail: barriga.2 at osu.edu