Parasites which alter host behavior

Ethan Friedman efriedm1 at
Tue Apr 8 00:04:44 EST 1997

In article <19970405.143015.3318.5.micromark at>, micromark at
(Mark Armitage) wrote:

> Dear All,
> Does anyone have any references on parasites which alter intermediate
> host behavior in order to increase chances of predation upon the
> host?
> Thanks in advance
> Mark Armitage
> Grad Student, APU

Curtis, Lawrence A. Vertical distribution of an estuarine snail altered by
a parasite.  Science. 235: 1509-1511.

I don't have the full citations for these, but there are two great books
on the subject, one edited by E.U. Canning and C. Wright, another by
Barnard and Behnke called Parasitism and Host Behaviour.  Also, there's a
paper by Holmes and Zohar (again I don't have the full citation) that's
very useful.

Really fun topic Mark.  Have a good time!

   Ethan Friedman