Raising sandflies and PCR problem

Juergen Stein juergen.stein at FLINDERS.EDU.AU
Sat Apr 12 09:17:38 EST 1997

Hello parasitologists

I just come back from the field with a vial of app. 20 living
phlebotomids. They obviously feed on the lizard I am investigating
(Egernia stokesii, an Australian skink). Does anybody know how to
establish a breed of sandflies?

The lizard is infected by at least two different blood parasites
(plasmodium spec./haemogregarine(s)spp.). The hard ticks Amblyomma
vikirri and A.limbatum are probably vectors for at least one type of
haemogregarine. I try hard to find a vector for the malaria, and this
sandfly is currently my best shot at it. Besides the epidemiological
investigation I am trying to develop a specific primer to detect the
blood parasite RNA in the vertebrate host and the vectors by PCR. I
haven't got very far yet. Ideal would be something to divide between the
lizard malaria and the haemogregarine(s), but so far I can't even get a
PCR product out of heavily and double infected lizard blood. My best
guess is that the nucleated blood cells cause some trouble. Is there
anyone working on the subject(s)?

Thanks

Juergen