looking for parasites of marine inverts

Mark Rigby rigby at eco.umnw.ethz.ch
Sun Apr 13 08:22:14 EST 1997

Daniel,

	Intertidal amphipods are a group that have been relatively well
studied.  They are routinely parasitized by a WIDE array of critters:

mites (lots! though not are all parasites but phoronts)
nematodes (most likely phoronts)
digene metacercariae
and lots ectosymbiotic protozoa

	The digenes are pretty common in some of the areas that I have examined
and are also likely to adversely affect amphipods.  The other critters
listed above are not as likely to adversely affect their hosts.
Acanthocephalans are known from freshwater amphipods, but I am unaware
of their occurrence in marine/intertidal amphipods (anyone know
otherwise?).  Additionally, it may be possible for amphipods to serve as
intermediate hosts for nematode larvae; they are certainly at the
correct trophic level.  Previous posters have mentioned copepods on
marine amphipods (COOL!), which I think unlikely for intertidal
amphipods.

	Intertidal amphipods are an interesting group of critters to study (and
pretty durn easy to collect).  If you want references for any of the
above stuff, let me know (I have some rather old and obscure stuff).
--
Mark Rigby
email:  rigby at eco.umnw.ethz.ch