Foodborne parasites

Lynne Motley lmotley at cpcug.org
Mon Apr 28 18:06:35 EST 1997

Hello,

I'd appreciate hearing about the food-borne parasites most likely found in
beef, pork, poultry, or fish flesh and organs (BPPF) consumed in North
America.  This is in regard to an article I'm writing for a
general-interest magazine about the current practice among some pet owners
of feeding raw BPPF to their pets.  I've learned a lot about bacterial
risks, related industry practices, etc., but I'm having less success
learning about parasites.

Before BPPF gets to my kitchen, do commercial processors do anything to
check for parasites and/or to reduce the potential?

And, aside from cooking, are there any products or methods that can be
used at home that would destroy parasites potentially present in raw BPPF?