Human DNA in animals

derek a. zelmer zelmeda4 at WFU.EDU
Thu Aug 7 15:53:57 EST 1997

On Wed, 6 Aug 1997, John V LeDuc Jr wrote:

> Please educate me.
>
> Is there a successful human-animal clone process in place?
> (Transplanting human DNA or other such material into either a grown
> animal or animal
> embryo)

I just read a news bite about Polly, the latest result from the people who
gave us Dolly. Apparently this lamb was the result of the transfer of
human somatic DNA into a sheep embryonic cell. I don't know the details
about what genes were transplanted, but Polly looks like a sheep to me.

> > If so, what is the likelihood of animal-only diseases adapting to the
> "new" environment (the "manimal") and invading "true" humans?

Presumably the likelihood would be the same as those diseases adapting to
man "naturally". I'm guessing, however, that Polly might be expressing one
or two genes... a far cry from the Island of Dr. Moreau.

Derek Zelmer